anothernovelread

Another Novel Read | BookLikes

A blog about (mostly) young adult books. Reviews, discussions, cover reveals, giveaways, and more! Please visit my main website at ohthebooks.com

Golden

Golden - Jessi Kirby Let me say right off the bat (in case this wasn't obvious already): I'm not a fan of contemporary. That being the case, I have to admit that I was pretty uneasy about reading this book. However, I won it in a giveaway, and I'd seen to many shining reviews of this book that I decided to give it a shot.This is the best contemporary book I've read.Sure, I might not have a lot of contemporaries to compare this to, but that doesn't matter. Golden is a book all its own, in my opinion. It is full of mystery, full of emotion, and full of inspiration. I was very quickly drawn into this book, thanks to the mystery of the journal. The story that unfolds in the journal really paired nicely with Parker's own personal journey at the cusp of high school graduation.The journal parts were definitely my favorite, and I found myself being just as swept up in Julianna's mysterious last days and Parker was. I love bits of journal entries in books because they always feel so intimate, so personal. And in Golden, they truly felt authentic. I've read some books where the journal entries read just like the rest of the book, but such was not the case in Golden. I felt as if I was really reading someone's journal, and it really struck a chord with me.I have notes in my Book Lover's Journal with things like "this is the kind of book that makes me seek a deeper connection with myself" and "this is the kind of book that inspires me to write."In the end, the story was slightly predictable, but that really did not dampen my enjoyment of the story, the mystery, and the journey at all. Parker's voice was distinct, her internal struggles were relatable, and her choices made sense. I really enjoyed this book. Even if you're not a contemporary fan, I definitely recommend Golden.[Reviews and more at Another Novel Read!]