anothernovelread

Another Novel Read | BookLikes

A blog about (mostly) young adult books. Reviews, discussions, cover reveals, giveaways, and more! Please visit my main website at ohthebooks.com

Crewel

Crewel - In a lot of dystopian books — especially those with a sci-fi or fantasy twist — the reader is introduced to an interesting world, and then CRAP HAPPENS and the environment changes. Divergent did this, Skylark did this, and so did others. Crewel came to me at just the right time. I’d been sitting around thinking about how I just want a book to let me stay in the interesting world instead of having to leave it for some unsurprising rebellion. In Crewel, I was introduced to a most fascinating world — and I got to stay there throughout the entire book!In Crewel, Gennifer Albin creates a magical, mysterious world called Arras. Everything in Arras is controlled by the tapestry of time and materials (people, objects, resources), and only Spinsters and Crewelers can see and weave the tapestry. Let me just tell you: this was one of the most imaginative books I’ve read recently, and I am kicking myself for not reading it sooner! The society of Arras was overall very patriarchal and rather misogynistic in many of its views, and while I don’t like it of course, I also saw it as cohesive and intentional. There’s a lot of debate about this factor of the story, but I chose to believe it was intended to be disgusting and that Adelice will rise above.I was hooked from the first page, and the plot kept me interested all the way to the end. We meet several interesting characters along the way, and all of them were vibrant and unique. I loved that Adelice had allies, but also had to deal with some very despicable personalities as well. Her attitude throughout the book was amusing and continued to surprise me!There is a little bit of a love triangle going on, but I still hesitate to call it that. It seems that Adelice is much more interested in one guy (Jost) than the other one, but I’m still not exactly sure where her intentions lie all of the time, and I actually enjoyed not knowing everything. It made her character come to life even stronger for me, because I felt she kept little secrets even from me.Look, basically, I really enjoyed most everything about this book, and I think you might enjoy it too. I’m very interested to see what happens in the next book!