anothernovelread

Another Novel Read | BookLikes

A blog about (mostly) young adult books. Reviews, discussions, cover reveals, giveaways, and more! Please visit my main website at ohthebooks.com

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - This was the my book club’s choice for January 2013, and I chose it because a couple of my friends had read it and rated it 4-5 stars. It was definitely an interesting book, and the magic and mystery of Rose’s predicament was quite fun to read. The writing was lovely, and there were some passages that I loved so much that I just read them over and over again, and even went back later and read them again. I loved Rose’s growth throughout the book, and I really enjoyed the focus on the relationships throughout her life, not only with her family but with friends, too. Things got really interesting about 65% of the way through, when a new mystery opened up with Rose’s brother. Unfortunately, this thread of the story ended up falling flat for me, and was just weird and confusing and not at all satisfying. The rest of the story, however, I adored.