anothernovelread

Another Novel Read | BookLikes

A blog about (mostly) young adult books. Reviews, discussions, cover reveals, giveaways, and more! Please visit my main website at ohthebooks.com

Review: The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

The Rithmatist - Brandon Sanderson

My Thoughts

This review was so hard for me to write, because I love The Rithmatist so much. It's left me unable to form coherent thoughts, and so instead I must resort to expressing myself through gifs.

Left: Me. Right: Also me. (Both: thinking about The Rithmatist.)

So where does this leave me?

Well! After a month of bouncing excitedly, I seem to have calmed down enough to type out some actual words into complete sentences!

If it's not obvious by now, I adored this book. I have to admit that I was somewhat skeptical of the whole magical-duels-via-chalk-drawings thing, and Joel's sports-fan-like enthusiasm in the beginning had the potential to turn me off, but by the end of the first chapter I was very intrigued. Sanderson was clever, I think, to create a protagonist who is so fascinated with Rithmatics but yet unable to be a Rithmatist. This way, the reader is embraced as an outsider and ushered into the museum carefully and deliberately.

The math behind Rithmatics was especially fascinating to me, despite the fact that I hated geometry class in high school. Each chapter begins with an instructional diagram of a Rithmatic technique, getting more and more complicated as the book goes on. I loved this because I felt like I was learning Rithmatics right along with Joel and Melody, and having visual aides for what was happening in the book helped tremendously.

The story played out like a mystery, and I was right there with Joel the entire time, desperate to figure out what was happening. Each of the characters was well developed and endearing, and even the villains were vivid and interesting. The world was awesome; the "flooded Earth" concept was really interesting, and it made for some cool dynamics in regards to politics and relations. Armedius Academy reminded me a little bit of Hogwarts combined with a college campus, colored with a steampunk feel, which was a lot of fun and easy to visualize.

I enjoyed every single word of The Rithmatist, and when I finished reading the last page, I wanted to flip right back to the beginning and read it all over again. The Rithmatist is probably my favorite book of 2013, and it's a strong YA debut for this seasoned fantasy writer. If you haven't read this book yet, I really hope that you do, because it's such a pleasure to read. (And please don't even mention that the next book won't be out until 2015. I just can't handle it!)

Source: http://anothernovelread.com/2013/08/22/review-the-rithmatist-by-brandon-sanderson